Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Child Marriage, Seriously?

It’s near impossible to have an act without both positives and negatives. An action that offends no one or that impresses no one. I have learnt enough from my time on this planet that there are two sides to every story and almost every deed would have some bit of applause and ridicule. Can there however be something wrong, just wrong? An action that is just plain wrong and no matter how much it’s beamed under the spotlight, the can be no shred of good sense in it. Well, step forward the Nigerian Senate and prove me wrong.
I don’t know which is worse, what they have done or what they have refused to do. The fact that they have refused to tackle the issues affecting the citizenry or the fact that they have chosen to legalize child marriage. No, you didn’t read that wrong, they made it legal for children to get married. Well, they should be in hiding then, right? They should lay low till it all dies down, ehn? Nope, not these shameless pot-bellied things. I read a quote attributed to the mastermind of this move recently. ‘His excellency’, Senator Ahmed Yerima. The buffon. If my memory serves me right, this is the same rag-skull that introduced sharia law. He was also the one who imported a 13 year old bride for himself. Hear him:
“..For those who wonder if I can give my daughter(s) out in marriage at the age of 9 or 13, I tell you most honestly, I can give her out at the age of 6 if I want to and its not your business. This is because I am a Muslim and I follow the example of the best of mankind, Muhammad…”

And the above, ladies and gentlemen is not from an interview in which he was rushed to give an answer, it was a press release. How sick can a public official be? How sick can anyone be as a matter of fact? He can give out his 6 year old daughter in marriage? This man is a freak. I mean freak. He makes Freddie Krueger look like Prince Charming.


Yerima: Do they get any more freakish?

I don’t know many things and my young head might not be aware of a lot of things, but I know child marriage cannot and should not be allowed in Nigeria. It should not be allowed among human beings. I’m not a medical doctor but I’ve heard of VVF and it’s a different kind of evil if these poor young girls suffer from it through vile rapists who commit these abominable acts in secret but to then legalize it and make it acceptable under the law? Come on! How can a girl who is barely a teenager have to make a decision on whom to spend the rest of her life with? Gosh, what demonic being has the effrontery to sleep with a girl whose idea of fun is ice cream while watching power puff girls? How can it be right for a girl to have to pick out baby clothes when her peers are picking out Barbie dolls?

What’s coming next? Legalize murder if I don’t accept your religious beliefs? Or maybe ban bacon because your holy book says I shouldn’t eat it? I can’t even think of anything viler than this unholy law this house of pain just inflicted on our country. Reverse this travesty now or the hottest parts of hell, the VIP section, next to Adolf Hitler’s apartment might just be round the corner as opposed to the seventy virgins you’re expecting. And oh what surprise that would be, ehn Ahmed?

No comments:

Post a Comment